Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I had poblano peppers. I had no desire to stand over the stove frying them individually. So, I went rummaging for recipes, found a few then made this. This is delicious. I wish I had doubled it. Feel free to sub black beans for the corn.
- 8 fresh poblano peppers
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 16 ounces shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese or 16 ounces monterey jack cheese or 16 ounces monterey jack pepper cheese
- 3 cups corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
- 8 eggs
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup flour (can use gluten free flour)
- Put peppers on a baking sheet & broil about 15 minutes, turning occasionally until blistered all over. Remove to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap & set aside 15 minutes. Pull out stems & seeds, peel off skins, give a quick rinse & set aside on paper towels.
- Shred the cheese while the peppers are broiling.
- Reduce heat to 375°F Spray a 9x13 pan with oil spray. Pour the tomato sauce over the bottom.
- Fill peppers with shredded cheese. Set aside 1/2 c or so of cheese. Set in pan. Fill empty spaces with corn.
- Whisk to combine eggs, oregano, baking powder & flour. Pour over everything. Sprinkle additional cheese over the top.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until set and the top is brown & bubbly.