Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I put this together one night just adding as I went, using ideas from different recipes. My DH is from South Texas and absolutely loved it. He asks for it alot. We've used different kinds of peppers from our garden, but anaheims are our favorite! I usually serve this with Spanish Rice.
- Put small T at top of each pepper just below the stem to keep it from exploding.
- To skin peppers - cook at 500° for about 15 to 20 minutes, turning every 5 minutes. They will be blistered and dark in spots.
- Seal peppers in plastic freezer bag for about 10 to 15 minutes to finish steaming the skin. Using the T you cut at the top, use a spoon to pull out the seeds and then peel the pepper. Seeding is much easier if you do it before peeling the pepper. Don't worry if they tear too much!
- Brown hamburger, add about 1/4 cup salsa and 1/4 cup red sauce. Place this on bottom of 2 qt casserole dish.
- Mix about 1/4 cup salsa and 1/4 cup red sauce with refried beans and layer on top of hamburger mixture.
- Insert large hunks of Monterey Jack cheese inside pepper cavity and lay them on top of the bean mixture.
- Beat egg whites until stiff, beat yolks some and fold into egg whites. Spoon on top of peppers and top with any shredded cheese.
- Bake at 350 for about 20 – 25 minutes - egg topping will be golden brown.
For this being the first time to try this recipe, I followed it pretty much as written. We had some anaheim chilies from the garden (more than 6 but they were smaller) so decided to try this. I liked the fact that it had ground beef in it. Since the chilies were smaller and totalled 20, it was difficult to peel them. Instead of "stuffing" them, we layed them split, covered them with shredded Monterey Jack cheese, then put another layer of chilies on top, then added the egg topping and extra cheese. Next time I make them I plan to use canned whole chilies and see how it turns out. This is good served with warm tortillas and a cold green salad. Thanks for posting!
a very easy and very good recipe. I loved it.