For JT's Grandma's Note:
I put this together one night just adding as I went, using ideas from different recipes. My DH is from South Texas and absolutely loved it. He asks for it alot. We've used different kinds of peppers from our garden, but anaheims are our favorite! I usually serve this with Spanish Rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put small T at top of each pepper just below the stem to keep it from exploding.
- 2To skin peppers - cook at 500° for about 15 to 20 minutes, turning every 5 minutes. They will be blistered and dark in spots.
- 3Seal peppers in plastic freezer bag for about 10 to 15 minutes to finish steaming the skin. Using the T you cut at the top, use a spoon to pull out the seeds and then peel the pepper. Seeding is much easier if you do it before peeling the pepper. Don't worry if they tear too much!
- 4Brown hamburger, add about 1/4 cup salsa and 1/4 cup red sauce. Place this on bottom of 2 qt casserole dish.
- 5Mix about 1/4 cup salsa and 1/4 cup red sauce with refried beans and layer on top of hamburger mixture.
- 6Insert large hunks of Monterey Jack cheese inside pepper cavity and lay them on top of the bean mixture.
- 7Beat egg whites until stiff, beat yolks some and fold into egg whites. Spoon on top of peppers and top with any shredded cheese.
- 8Bake at 350 for about 20 – 25 minutes - egg topping will be golden brown.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chile Rellenos Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (556 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 883.7
- Calories from Fat 337
- Total Fat 37.5 g
- Saturated Fat 12.9 g
- Cholesterol 381.8 mg
- Sodium 1624.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.6 g
- Sugars 21.0 g
- Protein 71.2 g