Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 1⁄2 lb monterey jack cheese
- 6 anaheim chilies, cleaned or 1 -2 can of whole canned chilies
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 eggs, seperated
- oil (for frying)
- 1⁄2 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup canned tomato
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Peppers: Cut cheese into rectangle ½" wide and 2" long.
- Wrap chile around each piece of cheese.
- Roll in flour.
- Make batter of beaten stiff egg whites, and then add lightly beaten egg yolks.
- Fold in 2 tbsp flour.
- Drop stuffed chilies into batter, one at a time.
- Slide into 1 1/2" moderately hot oil.
- Fry until golden brown.
- Work quickly.
- Sauce: Cook all ingredients together in saucepan.
- Pour over fried chilies.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake in a 350° oven 30 to 45 minutes, or until bubbly.
The sauce makes the chilles. Best recipe yet to date. Thanks!
Batter is perfect! So tasted like Laura's Drive Inn. Simple to make.
i never get the egg flower just right but the tast is goooood