Recipe by Colorado Cookie
A favorite from a local restaurant no longer in business. Not an authentic Mexican chile relleno, but a crispy, flaky version.
Top Review by Merlot
WOW! When you need a Mexican fix, this is the recipe to try. These are so easy to make and really hit the spot! I love the idea of being able to prepare them ahead of time. Thank you for sharing this. :-)
- 1 package egg roll wrap
- 3 cans whole green chilies
- 8 ounces cheese (Cheddar,jack or pepper jack cut in one ounce sticks)
- 1⁄2 box cornstarch
- oil (for deep frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain green chiles.
- Sprinkle cornstarch on sheet pan.
- Open up chile and place on egg roll wrapper with corner facing you.
- Place cheese stick on chile and roll up, tucking in corners and moistening edges to seal.
- Toss in cornstarch, dusting liberally.
- (Can be made up to this point a day ahead. Leave in cornstarch. Cover and refrigerate.) Shake off excess cornstarch and deep fry in 350 oil to cover until lightly golden and cheese just starts to ooze out.
- Drain on paper towels and keep warm in 250 oven.
- Serve as a side dish or appetizer with your favorite Mexican meal.
- Add your favorite condi- ments/sauces.