Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Excellent breakfast or brunch dish. Super easy, too.
- 1⁄2 lb cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 lb monterey jack cheese, grated
- 5 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 2⁄3 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, drained
- 1⁄4 cup picante sauce
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Mix grated cheeses and spread evenly in buttered 10 inch pie plate.
- Beat eggs, add flour slowly, and then beat in half and half.
- If mixture is lumpy, strain it.
- Pour egg mixture over cheeses in pie plate.
- Carefully spoon chiles over the surface, then spoon picante sauce over all.
- Bake about 45 minutes or until center is set.
I made this for a brunch and it got rave reviews. I was a little worried when my pie plate was mostly filled with cheese that it wouldn't hold together but it was fine. The chiles and cheese together were divine!
This flavorful and easy torta made a very nice weekend breakfast. Will make again. Thanks evelyn/athens. Bullwinkle.
Wonderfully easy dish with excellent flavor. I used my homemade canned salsa in the recipe. This is a perfectly simple egg dish for breakfast. We served it with my Pumpkin Cornmeal Muffins (recipe #80705) and Fruit Compote (recipe #75473) for a simple weeknight supper. This is our traditional menu for breakfast on Thanksgiving, too.