1/2 Photos of Chile Relleno Casserole
Captures the taste of Chile Rellenos without the hassle involved. Spicy enough to be interesting but not "hot" at all. I use just a sprinkle of cayenne, no Tabasco. The seasoning comes from the Chorizo.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1/2 lb chorizo sausage (spicy Mexican sausage)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed, minced, to taste
- 2 (4 ounce) cans whole mild green chilies, drained & seeds removed
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese or 2 cups Mexican blend cheese, divided
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce or 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1In a large skillet, brown sausage and ground beef, breaking up meat as it cooks.
- 2Add onion and garlic; cook until onion is tender.
- 3Drain well, as chorizo is quite greasy.
- 4Cut the chilies into strips length-wise.
- 5Line a 9x9" square baking dish with half of the chilies; top with 1 1/2 cups of cheese.
- 6Add browned meat mixture then top with remaining chilies; set aside.
- 7Beat together eggs and flour until smooth; add milk, salt, and Tabasco or cayenne pepper.
- 8Pour egg mixture over casserole.
- 9Bake, uncovered, in a 350F oven for about 35 to 45 minutes, or until a knife inserted around the center comes out clean.
- 10Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of cheese over the top of the hot casserole.
- 11Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chile Relleno Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (279 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 531.9
- Calories from Fat 343
- Total Fat 38.1 g
- Saturated Fat 18.0 g
- Cholesterol 231.1 mg
- Sodium 1446.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 32.9 g