Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
I had this at a potluck, and I've never eaten a better chile relleno. Jennie said it is an old family recipe on her husband's side. The secret is all the eggs and cheese. DELICIOUS! Thank you Jennie for sharing this wonderful recipe. Serving size is estimated. I think I might try this with some Ro-tel just for fun.
- 28 ounces green chilies, roasted
- 1 lb cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 lb monterey jack cheese, grated
- 8 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Layer a 9 x 13" pan with roasted chiles and top with cheddar and monterey jack.
- Continue to layer chiles and cheese in pan until done.
- Beat 8 eggs well. Add salt, flour, and milk.
- Make sure you beat well so there are no clumps of flour.
- Pour over layers in pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Take out of oven and top with tomato sauce and bake an additional 10 minutes.
I am a little wimpy so I considered this spicy but too good not to eat. I cut the recipe in half and followed the directions exactly but took Amy's suggestion and used Ro-tel instead of tomato sauce (I think it was the spicy one too..oops).This was just what my recipe book was missing. Thanks for sharing AmyZoe!!!
We liked this one. My 3yr old did not care for it but everyone else loved it. I tried to cut down the recipe for a bit smaller casserole dish I have. Next time I am going to try and add canned chicken.