Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
We love this recipe! It's very rich. You could easily cut this recipe in half and use an 8x8 pan. Super yummy with any Mexican inspired meal.
- 28 ounces canned whole green chilies
- 1 lb monterey jack cheese
- 5 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Drain liquid from canned chiles. Slit the chiles lengthwise down one side and remove any seeds.
- Slice the Monterey Jack cheese into slices about 1/4" thick, 1" wide and 3" long. Place the cheese inside the chiles.
- Place the filled chiles in an ungreased 9x13 baking dish. Mix the eggs and milk together. In another bowl, mix the flour, salt and pepper. Gradually stir the milk and egg mixture into the flour mixture until it is a smooth batter, free of lumps. Pour the batter over the filled chiles. Sprinkle the top with the grated cheddar cheese.
- Back at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
I really liked this recipe as it was easy and the flavor was terrific! I made a couple of modifications out of necessity. I had pepper jack on hand and that worked fine. Also, I couldn't find large canned chilies at my local grocery so I opted for fresh Anaheim peppers which I roasted, peeled, and cleaned of membranes and seeds. I have made this dish in the past by deep frying but now prefer this approach. I'll probably continue to use fresh peppers and experiment with the cheeses however. Thanks Angel, this is a winner!