Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
a great family pleaser without the frying!
Make and share this Chile Relleno Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb grated cheese (i use a mexican blend or a cheddar also works well)
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 (8 ounce) can whole green chilies
- Mix the milk, eggs, salt,pepper,and flour.
- Spray a pan (9x13) with a nonstick cooking spray.
- layer chilies, then the mixture made in step 1, then the cheese.
- Continue this order until you run our of ingredients and put EXTRA cheese on the top!
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 50 minutes.
- Allow about 10 minutes before serving!
Excellent texture. I spiced it up with garlic, cumin and chili powder in the milk mixture and it was more to my tast.
My family loved this casserole. I have made this several times already. Very easy to make. Taste just as good as my mom's chile rellano's with out all the hard work, and better yet "No Frying". I used two can's of chiles. I opened the chiles, took out any seeds, and dryed them with a paper towel to get rid of excess moisture. When casserole was done I topped each serving with my mom's chile rellano sauce and it was perfect. I miss my mom and this brought back wonderful memories of her. It has become a family favorite.
This recipe is wonderful and it touched my life in a very special way. Recently I went to Chicago to visit my Uncle, who is ill with multiple myloma. At dinner one evening, we were discussing Mexican food, and I mentioned one of the foods I enjoy, but had not yet attempted to make, was Chili Relleno. My Uncle, who is from Mexico, mentioned he had eaten a chile relleno casserole at a pot luck at work once, and wondered if one could find the recipe on the internet. Well, I looked and found this recipe. Needless to say, I was nervous to make something for the first time for someone else. However, this recipe was easy to make, and delicious! However, the best part about it was I made my Uncle HAPPY and he ENJOYED it immensely!