Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
I found this recipe in an old cookbook I made for my mom in gradeschool! Since finding it, it's been a delicious favorite for the whole family...
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2-1 cup fresh green chili peppers or 1⁄2-1 cup canned green chili pepper, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- Brown ground beef and onion in skillet.
- Add pepper.
- Press 1/2 of chile on bottom of baking dish.
- Sprinkle cheese.
- Top with meat mixture and top with the rest of the chile.
- Combine the eggs, flour, salt and milk.
- Beat until smooth.
- Pour mixture over chile and meat.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 45-50 minutes or until brown on top.
My mom used to make this when we were young and I loved it, try adding a dash or two of tabasco to the raw egg mixture... I also add a pinch or two of ground cumin. Coat the whole bottom of pan with Ortega chilis. this recipe is better with 3 layers.
It was good. Maybe could use one less egg?? I can't really remeber how much chili's I used (it's been a while), but it seemed like it could use more. Overall the taste was good though.
If this was made with sausage, it would be good for breakfast burritoes. It needs "something", we added salsa to add some flavor.