Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Make your own powder! It is far superior to that bought at the supermarket. I recommend a spare coffee grinder be dedicated to this. Indgredient quantities are approximate, and pepper types are based on what my Walmart typically has in stock.
- 5 dried ancho peppers, seeded
- 5 dried new mexico peppers, seeded
- 2 dried cayenne peppers, not seeded (optional)
- 1 tablespoon whole cumin seed
- Stem and seed the dried peppers. Crumble them up somewhat.
- Toast the cumin seeds in a small cast iron skillet over med-high heat for about a minute, shaking constantly to move them about. Do not allow to burn!
- Place all the above, in batches, into an electric coffee grinder.
- Grind into powder.
- Mix thoroughly. Place into clean container(s) and use as you would any store-bought chile powder.