Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
From the Southwest chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947
- 1⁄2 lb salt pork, ground
- 2 lbs ground sirloin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and sliced
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 3 teaspoons chocolate, ground
- Heat the salt pork in a kettle; when sufficient fat is rendered, add beef and brown quickly.
- Add chili powder, sugar, salt, flour, garlic, vinegar and chocolate.
- Cover with water, adjust lid lightly and simmer until meat is tender (about one hour).
- Gravy may be thickened, if desired.