Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
Not sure where this came from, but it's super easy! The red pepper flakes give only the slightest touch of heat, so people who like spicy food will want to add more.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 chicken legs, drumsticks and thighs separated (2-1/2 pounds total)
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken, skin side down, and cook until skin is golden and crisp, about 5 minutes. Flip and cook 2 minutes more. Transfer chicken to a plate. (May need to do this in batches, depending on the size of your saucepan.).
- Discard all but 1 tablespoon fat from pan. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds.
- Stir in vinegar, soy sauce, red-pepper flakes, and sugar.
- Return chicken to pan, skin side up. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low; cook 15 minutes (liquid should be gently simmering; adjust heat if necessary).
- Uncover, raise heat to medium, and cook until sauce is reduced by half, at least 10 minutes.
I made this recipe using 5 chicken legs and the full amount of the sauce. This dish is very easy and quick to make. The chicken turned out fantastic. The legs were very moist and falling off the bone tender, not to mention loaded with flavor. Thanks for sharing such a great recipe, L'ecole. I will be making this often in the future.