Recipe by Trinkets
I love caramelized onions, and anytime I think a well-used recipe needs help, this is what I try. In this instance, I have been making Mary Emmerling's chile con queso for years and just wanted a wee bit more flavor. So, here's the outcome: Over The Top, WOW! And, here's a note: I am not a fan of Velveeta but it does a good job in place of the cheeses in this recipe. I just can't make myself purchase it.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 (16 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, grated
- 3 ounces cream cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over moderate heat.
- Add the onion and slowly caramelize, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the tomatoes and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add the cheeses, one at a time, and stir frequently until all is incorporated.
- Keep the queso warm and serve with tortilla chips.