1/1 Photo of Chile Con Queso ( Emeril )
This is Emeril's recipe to stir in his chili. We love it for dipping warm tortilla chips too! I've changed a few things to make it more dipping friendly.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb poblano peppers or 1/2 lb anaheim chili
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 large tomato, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1 cup cream
- 1 1/2 cups grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese (added at the suggestion of a reviewer which I think is a good idea and improved this immensely)
- 1 cup grated monterey jack pepper cheese
- 1Roast peppers by placing them on open gas flame, turning frequently with tongs until all sides are charredblack, about 7-10 minutes. Can also roast peppers under broiler or on the grill. Place blackened peppers in a plasic or paper bag, and let rest until cool enough to handle, about 15 minutes. Peel peppers, split in half lengthwise, and discard all seeds and stems. FInely chop and set aside.
- 2In large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and cayenne and cook, stirring, until very soft, about 6 minutes. Add flour and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Add tomatoes and chopped chilies. Cook for 1 minute. SLowly add cream and stir until thick, 3-4 minutes. Add cheeses and cook, stirring, until melted and smooth.
- 3Remove from heat, adjust seasonings to taste and pour into fondue or warming dish. Serve with tortilla chips.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chile Con Queso ( Emeril )
Serving Size: 1 (193 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 491.9
- Calories from Fat 330
- Total Fat 36.7 g
- Saturated Fat 19.1 g
- Cholesterol 95.6 mg
- Sodium 338.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.0 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 18.9 g