Recipe by smns65
Warmed up it makes a great dip for chips. Can be also be spread on crackers when taken straight from the refrigerator. The kind of American cheese you use will have a great effect on the outcome of this dip. I use Kraft Deli Deluxe American cheese when making this. Don't use the kind of cheese that consists of the individually wrapped slices. It tastes too much like plastic.
Top Review by ottermom
I thought this recipe was great. I used sauteed poblano peppers in place of the jalapenos and also included some sauteed onions. My family loved it!!! It's a lot like the stuff you get at restaurants. It is even better reheated the next day! Very easy. i didn't have the time to melt it slowly on the stove so, I put it in the microwave for a couple minutes at a time and took it out and stirred it in between.
- 1 lb good quality American cheese
- 1⁄2 lb monterey jack cheese
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 3 -4 diced pickled jalapeno peppers, seeds removed
- 1 medium size tomatoes or 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine cheeses and milk.
- Heat slowly until cheese melts.
- Stir in diced jalapeno peppers and tomato.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- Stir the con queso every 30 minutes or so to keep the peppers and tomato from settling to the bottom.
- After about an hour taste the con queso.
- Add cayenne pepper in 1/8 teaspoons increments until the heat is to your liking.