Recipe by BecR
We LOVE this chili! Notice that the beans and beef are cooked together for an hour before the onions, scallions, garlic, jalapeño, and an assortment of herbs and spices are added; then the mixture is cooked for another hour. This gives the dish a fresher flavor than adding all the seasoning ingredients at the beginning. Spoon this soupy chili over boiled rice, with a salad of Romaine and a creamy yogurt dressing for a refreshing complimentary taste.
Top Review by GregAndMary
Great Recipe, I could not find the ground cumin at the store when I went for ingreadients, as well as dried beans but I just used light red kidney beans in the can. with 2 and a half cups water instead of 4 it worked great, The family LOVED it. Thanks!!!
- 8 ounces dried red kidney beans
- 8 ounces extra lean ground beef (10-percent fat or less)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 4 cups cold water
- 2 small onions, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces (or 1 medium onion, 4 ounces)
- 6 scallions, trimmed, keeping most of the green, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (1 cup)
- 5 -6 garlic cloves, peeled, crushed, and chopped (1 tablespoon)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped (2 teaspoons)
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes, in sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped cilantro stems
- boiled rice
- 1⁄3 cup loose coarsely chopped cilantro leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- Sort through the beans, removing and discarding any damaged ones, and rinse in a sieve under cold water. Place the beans, beef, salt, and water in a stockpot, and bring the mixture to a boil over high heat. (This will take about 10 minutes.) Reduce the heat to low, cover, and boil gently for 1 hour.
- Add the onions, scallions, garlic, jalapeño, tomatoes (with sauce), thyme, cumin, chili powder, bay leaves, and cilantro stems. Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat to low, cover, and boil gently for an hour. (The mixture will still be somewhat soupy).
- To serve, spoon the chili over the rice, and sprinkle the cilantro leaves on top.