1 hr 30 mins
This recipe came to me in a cookbook published as a fund-raiser by the faculty of the school where I taught. I've used it for thirty years or so, making so many changes along the way that it is now truly "my" recipe. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 lbs beef roast (I find it's usually cheaper to buy a roast and cut it up myself) or 6 lbs stewing beef (I find it's usually cheaper to buy a roast and cut it up myself)
- 16 ounces red chili paste (sold in Arizona by Santa Cruz Chile, or you can make your own like this one Hatch Red Chili Sauce)
- 4 -6 bay leaves
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ground pepper
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup shortening
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (or fresh minced garlic, to taste)
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried oregano (to taste)
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1Put the cut-up beef in a dutch oven or similar large kettle, cover with water and boil with salt, pepper, garlic, onion, and 3-4 bay leaves. Boil until meat is tender.
- 2Remove bay leaves and throw them away. Remove the meat.
- 3Pour the liquid into another container. (I use a good-sized plastic pitcher.).
- 4Stir the chili paste into the liquid. ( Or use 8 ounces of the paste and 8 ounces of made-from-scratch chile sauce. Or if you have an asbestos tongue, skip the commercial stuff entirely!).
- 5Melt shortening in the bottom of the kettle. Add flour and cook until brown, stirring almost constantly.
- 6Add 10 cups or so of the beef stock/chile mixture gradually, while stirring. (It's like making gravy.).
- 7Reduce heat and add oregano, cumin, more garlic, and salt to taste.
- 8Stir in the meat.
- 9DO NOT add tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, stewed tomatoes, or any other tomato product!
- 10Serve with flour tortillas and refried beans. Or make your own burros and serve it that way. Left overs (if any) freeze well.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chile Con Carne Rojo, Sonoran Style
Serving Size: 1 (131 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 385.8
- Calories from Fat 277
- Total Fat 30.7 g
- Saturated Fat 11.1 g
- Cholesterol 78.2 mg
- Sodium 67.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 21.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
red chili paste