Recipe by pattikay in L.A.
This is a nice basic casserole that can be revved up by the addition of chiles - either mild or hot - or you can leave the chiles out altogether and leave it just cheesy. Adapted from The More with Less Cookbook.
- 12 ounces noodles
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped green peppers (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped mild green chilies (or chopped jalapenos)
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3 cups diced cooked chicken
- 2⁄3 cup shredded cheese (or more to taste)
- buttered bread crumb
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook noodles in boiling water; drain.
- Saute onion, peppers and mushrooms in butter.
- Stir in flour, cook with vegetables and stir till bubbly.
- Add chicken broth, milk, dry mustard and salt and pepper to taste. Heat and stir till thickened.
- Combine this mixture with the cooked noodles and cooked chicken and chiles, if using.
- Put in greased casserole dish (2 or 2 1/2 qt size).
- If you like it cheesy, feel free to stir some cheese in with the noodles, sauce and chicken. Top with shredded cheese and bread crumbs.
- Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes.