Recipe by Hey Jude
This is a versatile recipe...you can serve it as a side dish or add a vegetable and salad and call it dinner!
Top Review by papergoddess
Very good rice dish, Judy. I didn't have any pimientos, so I diced up some roasted red peppers I had in the fridge. I also used fat-free sour cream, which worked just fine. It went very well with a southwest-style chicken dish I made.
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 (4 ounce) can whole green chilies, drained,seeded and diced
- 1 (2 ounce) jar diced pimentos, drained
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (8 oz. total)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place water and salt in a 2-quart pan and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add rice and cover.
- When water resumes a full rolling boil, reduce heat and simmer until rice is aldente and all liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in chiles, pimentos, sour cream, jack cheese and 1/2 C.
- of the cheddar cheese.
- Pour rice mixture into a greased, shallow 1 1/2-quart casserole and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 C.
- cheddar cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 350° oven for 30 minutes.