Recipe by Sue Lau
Mildly spicy cheese filled tarts, great for appetizers at parties or snacking. Have some at your next get together to watch the basketball or football game!
- 4 ounces monterey jack pepper cheese, shredded
- 1⁄3 cup canned chopped green chili
- 1 pastry for double-crust pie, prepared
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup salsa or 1 cup pico de gallo
- additional salsa (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together cheese with chilies and set aside.
- Roll out pie crust dough.
- With a 3 1/4-inch round cookie cutter, cut pie crust into 16 rounds.
- Spoon chile-cheese mixture onto one side only of each pastry circle.
- Brush the edges of the pastry with beaten egg.
- Fold pastry in half, forming a half-moon shape, pressing edges with a fork to seal.
- Place empanaditas on an ungreased cookie sheet and brush tops with beaten egg.
- Cut a small slit in the top of each with a sharp knife.
- Bake at 400F for 12-16 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with salsa and sour cream, if desired.