Prep 20 mins
Cook 14 mins
Mildly spicy cheese filled tarts, great for appetizers at parties or snacking. Have some at your next get together to watch the basketball or football game!
- 4 ounces monterey jack pepper cheese, shredded
- 1⁄3 cup canned chopped green chili
- 1 pastry for double-crust pie, prepared
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup salsa or 1 cup pico de gallo
- additional salsa (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- Mix together cheese with chilies and set aside.
- Roll out pie crust dough.
- With a 3 1/4-inch round cookie cutter, cut pie crust into 16 rounds.
- Spoon chile-cheese mixture onto one side only of each pastry circle.
- Brush the edges of the pastry with beaten egg.
- Fold pastry in half, forming a half-moon shape, pressing edges with a fork to seal.
- Place empanaditas on an ungreased cookie sheet and brush tops with beaten egg.
- Cut a small slit in the top of each with a sharp knife.
- Bake at 400F for 12-16 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with salsa and sour cream, if desired.