Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
A tasty, zesty Mexican-style cornbread.
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1⁄4 lb monterey jack cheese or 1⁄4 lb cheddar cheese
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- Thaw the corn.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and butter a 9-inch cast-iron skillet.
- Cut cheese into slices about 1/4 inch thick.
- Slice the peppers.
- Combine cornmeal, baking powder and salt.
- Stir in corn.
- Melt the butter.
- Mix together eggs, sour cream and melted butter.
- Pour mixture into cornmeal mixture and stir until combined but still bumpy.
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared skillet.
- Cover with the cheese and peppers.
- Pour in the remaining batter and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 30-40 minutes.
- Serve warm from the skillet.
Very tasty. I made some changes to make it more fat free. I used soy cheddar cheese. Instead of butter I used 1 packet of butterbuds. I used 2 eggwhites and 1 egg I used fat free sour cream. My husband(the cornbread gourmet) liked it.