Recipe by Leslie in Texas
A cheesy, good Mexican-influenced rice dish. I've served this often with great success. Originally from a local Methodist church cookbook from 20 plus years ago.
Top Review by Merlot
WONDERFUL! We loved the combination of ingredients in this rice casserole. Creamy, cheesing and the onions and green chilies gave it just the right amount of zip. This is a winner, Leslie in Texas.
- 3 cups sour cream (can substitute low fat)
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 4 cups cooked rice (do not overcook)
- 3⁄4 lb grated cheddar cheese (can use 2% cheese)
- 4 green onions, chopped
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Mix sour cream, green onions and chilies.
- Season rice with salt and pepper.
- Spray a 1 1/2 quart casserole with cooking spray and cover with half of the rice.
- Add a layer of half of the sour cream mixture and cover with half of the grated cheese.
- Repeat layers starting with rice and ending with cheese.
- Bake in a 350° oven until bubbly and the top is lightly browned, about 30 minutes.
- This can be assembled ahead and baked when ready.
- Increase baking time if refrigerated, covering the top with foil if it browns too quickly.