Prep 1 hr
Cook 50 mins
Brownies with a peppery kick. Be sure to use pure chile powder, the kind made from only ground chiles (ancho). Conventional chili powder, sold in most grocery stores, contains oregano and cumin—would not be suitable for this recipe. Pure chile powder is found in gourmet grocery stores and Latino/Mexican markets and specialty online spice stores.
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour, plus additional
- all-purpose flour, for the pan
- 1⁄4 cup pure chile powder, plus
- 1 tablespoon pure chile powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus additional
- unsalted butter, for the pan
- 5 ounces bittersweet chocolate or 5 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 5 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- Position oven rack in the lower third of oven; preheat oven to 350°; butter and flour a 13x9 inch baking pan; set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk the flour, chile powder, baking powder, and salt until combined; set aside.
- Add butter and both chocolates in the top of a double boiler set over simmering water; stir constantly until half the butter and chocolate is melted.
- Remove the top of the double boiler from the pot; then continue stirring, away from the heat, until the butter and chocolate are completely melted.
- Transfer to a big bowl and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Beat the sugar into the melted chocolate with an electric mixer on medium speed; continue beating until smooth and silky, about 2 minutes.
- Beat in eggs until well incorporated.
- With a wooden spoon, stir in flour mixture just until incorporated; do not beat.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, spreading it gently to the corners.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a pick comes out with a few moist crumbs; set pan of wire rack to cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Cut brownies into 24 pieces while they are still in the pan; carefully remove them with an offset spatula.
- Serve immediately or cool completely before covering with plastic wrap for storage at room temperature.
- Variation: add one or more of the following spices with the chile powder: 1 ½ tablespoon ground cinnamon, 2 teaspoons ground ginger, 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg, 1 teaspoon ground cloves and/or.
- Stir in 1 ¼ cups of any of the following mix-ins or 1 ¼ cups any combination of the following mix-ins, with the flour mixture—chocolate-covered espresso beans, chopped candied orange peel, chopped dried figs, chopped pecans, chopped toasted hazelnuts, dried cherries, raisins, toasted pepitas.