Prep 3 hrs
Cook 2 hrs
Medium on the heat scale for me (about a 6 on a 1 to 10), but probably too hot for most of ya'll! (I am in the process of developing a recipe called "Inferno" which will trump this one on the heat scale). This salsa has a very nice Habanero flavor. I developed this "perfect" heat and flavor canning salsa recipe after playing around with a variety of different recipes. The result was this masterpiece made exclusively for canning. This will make about 15 to 16 pint jars. You can buy the El Yucateco hot sauce at most Mexican Food markets, and if your lucky at your local grocery store in the hot sauce isle - Try not to subsitute this sauce because it is the "secret ingredient". It doensn't hurt either if you want subsitute a few under ripe tomatoes or some tomatillos to complete your 16 cups.
- 16 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 5 cups onions, chopped
- 3 cups bell peppers, chopped
- 2 cups jalapeno peppers, minced
- 12 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons cumin
- 3 tablespoons black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup canning salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 2 (12 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 (4 ounce) bottlesel yucateco caribbean hot sauce chili habaneros
- Mix all ingredients in very large pot.
- Bring to boil and cook for 20-25 minutes.
- Seal in jars and cook in hot water bath for 15 minutes.