1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Chef #913205's Note:
the ancho chilies give it a unique taste
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put the ribs into a large sauce pan and barely cover with water.
- 2Add salt and cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- 3Remove any stalks from the dried chiles, slit them open, and scrape out and discard any veins and seeds.
- 4Put chiles into a saucepan, cover with hot water, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 5Remove from heat; let soak 5 minutes.
- 6Put 1/2 cup of the water in a blender.
- 7Add garlic and cumin seed; blend thoroughly.
- 8Add remaining 1/2 cup of water and some of the chilies. Blend well. Gradually add the remaining chilies, blending well after each addition.
- 9Add the blender ingredients to the meat.
- 10Cut the tomatillos into quarters, leaving the husks intact, and add to the pan.
- 11Continue cooking the meat mixture, uncovered, until meat is tender, the sauce is reduced, and the fat floats to the surface; about 45 minutes.
- 12The sauce will be quite thick and coat the back of a wooden spoon well.
Nutritional Facts for Chilayo
Serving Size: 1 (337 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 938.7
- Calories from Fat 628
- Total Fat 69.8 g
- Saturated Fat 25.3 g
- Cholesterol 274.2 mg
- Sodium 255.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 67.3 g