Recipe by Kirstin in the Couv
This casserole comes from the "Los Barrios Family Cookbook" and although it is tasty with just plain chicken, it is elevated to sublime using Canary Girl's Chicken Verde. Just make sure you drain any excess liquid off the chicken. Assemble the dish right before baking -- if you do it in advance, the sauce may make the tortilla strips soggy. You can buy green tomatillo sauce in cans, but I have also posted Los Barrios recipe.
Top Review by ciao
Moxie, incredible recipe! Incredible! My husband and I LOVED it! He actually said that it was "the single best thing I've ever made." Can you believe it? I've been cooking for him for 14 years, lol! I had to put it away to stop him from eating the whole pan. I did as you suggested and elevated it to sublime using canarygirl's chicken verde, recipe #32918. This os so esay to make, but the flavor is outstanding. Next time, (and there will be many, many more times making this) he was thinking I should try 2 layers. I guess he wants more of a good thing, lol! Thanks Mox, for sharing this recipe!
- 2 cups fried corn tortilla strips (directions follow)
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 1⁄2 cups green tomatillo sauce
- 1 cup shredded queso chihuahua cheese or 1 cup monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- To make the fried tortilla strips, slice corn tortillas into thin strips.
- Fry in a large skillet of hot oil until light golden brown and crisp, watching carefully so they do not burn.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- To assemble the casserole, spread the corn strips on the bottom of a 9x13" baking dish.
- Place the chicken on top and cover with the sauce, then top with cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes or until heated through.
- Spread the sour cream over the top of the casserole and serve.