Recipe by afr0bunny
this is a great recipe if you have leftover chicken or want to dress up a whole roasted chicken. also great to bring to a party as an appetizer
Top Review by AmbyDawn
Yummy! I ate this a handful of times in Mexico and couldn't resist when I saw the recipe. Though I prepared as described, it is also very good sauteed (the chips are soggier though). Also, I used half red vine tomatoes b/c I didn't buy enough tomatillos, it looked very nice. Thanks for the recipe!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs tomatillos
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 large jalapeno, stemmed and diced
- 1⁄4 cup packed cilantro
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack pepper cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 scallion, diced small
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1⁄2 cup mexican farmer cheese
- 8 cups tortilla chips
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- preheat oven to 450°F.
- in a food processor/blender, puree the tomatillos, garlic, jalapeno, and cilantro until smooth.
- in a large saucepan, heat oil over high heat, add cumin and coriander, and cook about 30 seconds.
- add the puree to pan, bring to a boil, and cook until sauce dulls and darkens slightly (about 3 min).
- season with salt and pepper.
- in a bowl, toss the chicken with 1/2 of the puree mixture, 1/2 the jack/cheddar mix, the farmer's cheese, and the scallions
- toss chips with remaining puree.
- in a rectangular baking dish, layer chips on the bottom, then chicken, then another layer of chips.
- top with remaining cheese.
- bake until cheese on top is golden.