A comforting lunch or dinner dish. This easy to make casserole is a great way to use up leftover tortillas. Canned mild green chilies add juts the right amount of heat-even for finicky kids.
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 12 corn tortillas, torn into 1 inch pieces
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 2 (4 1/2 ounce) canschopped green chilies
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon oregano
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat oil in medium skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add onions and garlic and cook for 5 minutes until tender.
- Grease 11x7-inch baking dish.
- Spread half the tortillas along bottom of baking dish.
- Sprinkle half the cheese and 1 can chilies over top.
- Sprinkle onion mixture over chilies.
- Repeat layering with remaining tortillas, cheese and chilies.
- Whisk eggs, buttermilk, salt, pepper, cumin and oregano in medium bowl.
- Pour over casserole.
- Bake 45 minutes until set and browned on top.