Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Recipe from a friend living in Mexico.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons green peppers, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons onions, chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped and drained
- 2 1⁄2 cups monterey jack cheese
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash cayenne
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 tablespoons tomato juice
- Cook pepper and onion lightly in butter.
- Add tomato pulp and cook 5 minutes before putting over boiling water and stirring steadily as you add cheese and seasonings.
- Moisten the egg with the tomato juice and stir in until the Chilaly is thick and velvety.
- Serve it hot over cold slices of hard-cooked eggs crowded flat on hot buttered toast.