Sephardi Kitchen's Note:
This vegetarian Georgian soup is flavored with onions, dill, parsley and lemon juice, and infused with cilantro (fresh coriander). It is light and nice to serve in the summer months.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro (entire sprigs, not chopped)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 -2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 6 cups hot water
- 1/4 cup hot chicken stock or 1/4 cup vegetable stock
- salt and pepper
- 1Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter or margarine in a pan, and stir-fry the onions for several minutes until golden. Add the water and cilantro and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 2Mix the flour with the hot stock and vinegar. Add to the soup. Add in the cinnamon, salt and pepper. Simmer on low heat for about 15 minutes.
- 3Take pot off heat, remove and discard the cilantro sprigs. Take out about 1/2 cup of the soup, allow to cool.
- 4Beat the eggs lightly with the 1/2 cup of slightly cooled broth, return it to the pot with the remaining butter or margarine. Stir in the dill, parsley ad lemon juice. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chikhirtma (Fresh Coriander-Onion Soup)
Serving Size: 1 (334 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 90.3
- Calories from Fat 50
- Total Fat 5.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 80.6 mg
- Sodium 92.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 3.1 g