Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
I created this soup on a chilly spring evening. It's a light but satisfying vegetarian soup flavored with cumin, oregano, pasilla chile and lime, served with Chihuahua cheese (or another Mexican queso fresco - fresh white cheese). Plus, it's topped with adictive little crispy-fried lime-chili tortilla strips!
- 1⁄2 large onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) canpetite diced tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 dried pasilla pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon masa harina (optional)
- 1 lime, juice of
for the tortilla strips
- 5 corn tortillas, cut in half,then cut in strips
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
- 4 ounces chihuahua cheese, crumbled (or other queso fresco)
- Saute onion in olive oil until slightly browned.
- Add garlic, cumin and oregano; cook for 10 more minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add tomatoes, vegetable broth and pasilla chile.
- Bring to a boil, then lower heat slightly and add masa harina (if using; I like the flavor and it adds a little more"body" to the soup), stirring well until it's dissolved.
- Simmer gently 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat vegetable oil in a skillet.
- Carefully add tortilla strips; sprinkle with salt and chili powder and fry until lightly crispy (you may need to turn on your range fan for this event!).
- Sprinkle with the juice of 1/2 lime and set aside.
- And here's the important part- try not to eat all the tortilla strips before the soup is done!
- Squeeze the juice of 1 lime into the soup after it's simmered for 30 minutes; heat 10 minutes more.
- To serve, place cheese in soup bowls; ladle soup over and top with crispy tortilla strips.
i omitted the pepper and added chives plus sofrito which i saute'ed w/ the onion and garlic. in addition 2 the vegtable broth i added some chicken soup base. very yummy!