Recipe by carrie sheridan
this is so unusual, i've only found it once at a caterer's bakery - the texture is silky and smooth and tastes only slightly chocolate-y... as kids, we used to make a batch to just eat right out of the mixing bowl!
Top Review by Georgiapea
Well, what a bummer. I saw 'sugar' and thought, "ok, icing ... icing sugar = confectioner's sugar, but it just says sugar". So, I'm a moron and used regular white sugar and it didn't work out =(
- 1 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup Crisco shortening
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons hershey's cocoa
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together milk and flour in a small saucepan.
- Cook until thick, stirring constantly.
- Set aside to cool, covering the top with saran wrap.
- Beat together the crisco, butter, sugar and vanilla.
- Beat the first ingredients into the second until it is very light and fluffy - about 10 minutes!
- Add Hershey's cocoa, one tablespoon at a time, to taste [not more than 1/4 cup].
- Add more sugar, if desired.
- Frost birthday cake with this and refrigerate for several hours to chill thoroughly.
- Note: this frosting is best straight out of the refrigerator -- it does melt in warm weather -- but it's good No Matter WHAT!