Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
I actually just made this recipe on Sunday the 15th--with my husband’s help since he is from Nigeria and this is a favorite among his family. You can use any kind of meat combinations you prefer. I used stew meat and chicken thighs.
- 6 chicken thighs, on bone
- 1360.77 g stewing beef
- 5-6 medium hot house tomatoes
- 2 (340.19 g) can tomato paste
- 1 red pepper
- 1-2 jalapeno
- 1 red onion
- 1 white onion
- 5 garlic cloves
- 44.37 ml hot sauce (optional)
- 29.58 ml salt
- 118.29 ml vegetable oil
- fresh ground black pepper
- fresh basil
- fresh cilantro
- fresh spinach
- fresh thyme
- Use a stew pot and boil enough water to cover all the meat, onions, vegetable oil and salt.
- Boil until tender/almost done.
- Meanwhile, puree together tomatoes, garlic, tomatoes paste, jalapeno, red pepper, and fresh herbs.
- When meat is ready, drain off all but about 1 1/2 cups of broth.
- Add in the puree mix; cover and stew for about an hour. Approximately 15 minutes before done add in fresh cut spinach.
- Serve with your choice of rice.