Recipe by Anne Sainz
This is one of those recipes that evolved over time. It is adapted from a recipe I got from my mother-in-law many years ago. I simplified the preparation and changed some of the ingredients to match our Nutritarian eating style.
- 2 large onions, thickly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 red pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 green pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
- 2 cups raw carrots, sliced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans low-sodium chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 15 stuffed olives
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup whole grain rice (I like Lundberg Wild Blend)
Directions See How It's Made
- Add all ingredients to a large pot (at least 5 qt) and mix well.
- Bring broth to a boil, stirring a few times to distribute rice and prevent sticking on the bottom.
- Turn heat down, cover and cook on low about 70 minutes or until rice is done. Mix 2 or 3 times while cooking, adding small amounts of water if needed.