Prep 2 hrs
Cook 30 mins
An Italian vegetarian side dish.
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried garbanzo beans, soaked overnight and drained (chickpeas)
- salt, to taste
- 2 onions, peeled
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Rinse the chickpeas and place in a saucepan.
- Cover with cold water and simmer for 2 hours or until tender.
- Salt to taste near the end.
- Drain and place in a salad bowl.
- Mash the chickpeas a little with a fork.
- In the meantime, steam the onions whole until tender (about 30 minutes).
- Slice and add to the chickpeas.
- Mix together the vinegar, rosemary and oil with some salt in a bowl.
- Pour over the chickpeas, mix well and serve.
Wonderful! I added no salt, but otherwise followed the recipe exactly. Will make many times in the future - this recipe is a keeper!
delicious. followed recipe exactly except i added a few squirts of fresh lemon and a few sundried tomatoes chopped up. very satisfying and easy to make. thanks!
My husband is british, and his brother lived in Italy for a while, so they really got the taste for italian cooking. I added diced tomatoes to this and let it marinate a while since DH is a huge onion and tomatoe person. It was fabulous!