Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is best served with some naan bread or rice, to sop up all the tasty juices!
Make and share this Chickpeas With Eggplant (Aubergine) and Spinach recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (400 g) can chickpeas
- 2 medium eggplants, cut into cubes
- 8 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 hot green chili pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (400 g) can chopped tomatoes
- 225 g spinach, roughly chopped
- 225 ml water
- Rinse the chickpeas.
- Fry the eggplant cubes in the oil until golden on the outside and tender inside.
- This will take about 10 minutes.
- Remove with a draining spoon.
- If there is no oil left in the pan then add a little more and when it is hot, add the ginger, garlic and chilli and fry for one minute.
- Stir constantly.
- Add the coriander and cumin and cook for 30 seconds, taking care not to burn the spices.
- Add the tomatoes and their juice, chickpeas and water.
- Bring to a boil and simmer.
- Cook for 15 minutes, add the spinach and bring to a boil.
- Cook for a further minute or two until the spinach is tender.
- Stir the eggplant back in, season with salt and pepper and serve hot.