Recipe by Sackville
This is best served with some naan bread or rice, to sop up all the tasty juices!
- 1 (400 g) can chickpeas
- 2 medium eggplants, cut into cubes
- 8 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 hot green chili pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (400 g) can chopped tomatoes
- 225 g spinach, roughly chopped
- 225 ml water
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse the chickpeas.
- Fry the eggplant cubes in the oil until golden on the outside and tender inside.
- This will take about 10 minutes.
- Remove with a draining spoon.
- If there is no oil left in the pan then add a little more and when it is hot, add the ginger, garlic and chilli and fry for one minute.
- Stir constantly.
- Add the coriander and cumin and cook for 30 seconds, taking care not to burn the spices.
- Add the tomatoes and their juice, chickpeas and water.
- Bring to a boil and simmer.
- Cook for 15 minutes, add the spinach and bring to a boil.
- Cook for a further minute or two until the spinach is tender.
- Stir the eggplant back in, season with salt and pepper and serve hot.