26 hrs 20 mins
I got this from a Nigella cookbook. The general method for preparing the chickpeas is fantastic. They come out so creamy and delicious. The seasoning for this is wonderful. Feel free to change it up with different seasonings. I use one standard Goya bag of dried chickpeas for this. ETA - the original recipe says to cook the chickpeas for 1 1/2 hours. For me, with the fresh chickpeas I get in a store with very high turnover I aonly cook them for 25 minutes to 1/2 hour. Please take this into consideration when making this.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups dried garbanzo beans
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 onion, halved (don't need to peel it)
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme (or a bit more if you love the flavor)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 red chili pepper
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves (big fat ones)
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1Put chickpeas in enough cold water to cover generously along with the flour, salt and baking soda.
- 2Leave for 24 hours.
- 3After 24 hours drain and rinse thoroughly.
- 4Put the chickpeas in a big pot, cover with cold water, add the halved onion, sprigs of thyme and olive oil. Cover, bring to boil then reduce to rolling simmer. Do not uncover for at least 1 and 1/2 hours (or less, see description note above).
- 5After 1 and 1/2 hours check for doneness. If done, reserve 2 cups of cooking liquid and drain the chickpeas. Remove the thyme and onion as best you can. Set chickpeas aside for a moment.
- 6Chop the onion and garlic roughly and remove the thyme leaves from the stem. Throw onion, garlic and thyme in food processor (or chop as finely as you possibly can). Whirl it to a pulp.
- 7Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in large deep fry pan then add pulp mixture, Sprinkle with salt and cook gently for 5 minutes.
- 8Add the chickpeas and half the cooking liquid, cover and heat gently til everything is hot and the chick peas are soft.
- 9If there is too much liquid, remove the lid and let some boil off. If you run out of liquid, add a bit more.
- 10Sprinkle with more salt, additional thyme or more olive oil and serve.
Browse Our Top Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chickpeas With Chilli, Garlic and Thyme ( Nigella Lawson )
Serving Size: 1 (115 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 368.3
- Calories from Fat 144
- Total Fat 16.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1847.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.0 g
- Sugars 8.4 g
- Protein 13.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: