Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From the book Tapas by Penelope Casas. Garbanzos con cebollas. Very simple, but delicious.
- 1⁄4 lb dried garbanzo beans
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- Soak chickpeas in cold water overnight.
- Drain and place in a deep casserole with the garlic clove, onion sliced, bay leaf , salt and cover with water.
- Boil and then bring to simmer for 1 1/2 hours until chickpeas are tender.
- Drain discarding the garlic and bay leaf.
- In a skillet heat the oil and saute the onion for a minute.
- Add the tomato, cover and cook very slowly until the onion is cooked but not colored, about 15 minutes.
- Combine with the chickpeas. may be prepared ahead.
This was a nice way to fix chickpeas. I liked the tomato in it. I used the crockpot and cooked them all day. Thanks!