Recipe by MA HIKER
a quick and tasty side dish (or main dish rounded out with a salad & nice bread). Find garam masala, a traditional spice blend, in the spice aisle. From Rachel Ray's magazine.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes, canned & chopped
- 3 teaspoons coriander, ground
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin, ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
Directions See How It's Made
- In a wok or large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and cook until the edges are browned, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, coriander, cumin, garam masala and turmeric.
- Lower the heat to medium and cook for 3 minutes more.
- Stir in the chickpeas, add the salt and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Add the spinach and cook about 5 minutes more.