Recipe by Sharon123
Chickpeas replace the meat to make a delicious, nutritious meal. Add chilies according to how much heat you want. Adapted from Friedas.
Top Review by puppitypup
LOVED IT! The flavor combination here is really delicious and these are super quick to make. I didn't have any chilis, so I added some taco sauce in with the mashed chickpeas :yummy: Thank you for a wonderful idea Sharon, I would never thought of using chickpeas on tostadas. Please see my rating system. Updated to say I make these all the time, one of my favorite quick lunches :)
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained (garbanzos)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable broth or 1⁄4 cup chicken broth or 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 -6 teaspoons fresh anaheim chilies, chopped (or serrano, jalapeno, fresno chiles, to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup cooking oil
- 4 (6 inch) flour tortillas or 4 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 1 1⁄2 cups lettuce, shredded (iceberg is good)
- 1 avocado, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 large tomatoes, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3⁄4 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1⁄3 cup green onion, sliced
- 1⁄3 cup black olives, sliced or 1⁄3 cup green olives
- sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the drained beans with vegetable broth in a saucepan or microwave. Place in a blender or food processor with chilies. Process until coarsely chopped, or puree if you want it smooth. Season to taste with salt and peppers; set aside.
- To cook tostadas:.
- Heat oil in skillet to about 365°F.
- Fry tortillas in hot oil, one at a time, on both sides just until crisp, about 2 minutes. Drain.
- To assemble tostadas:.
- Place one tortilla on each plate.
- Top each tortilla with shredded lettuce, spoonfuls of chickpea mixture and equal amounts of remaining ingredients, as desired.
- Serve with desired toppings. Enjoy!