1 hr 10 mins
Cook Tara K.'s Note:
Hearty sweet potatoes and chickpeas create a burger that's about as meaty as it gets without using any meat. Dried chickpeas keep these patties crispy; soak them overnight so they're ready to cook when you are. (I used canned chickpeas and time does not include soaking) http://www.self.com/fooddiet/recipes/2012/04/chickpea-sweet-potato-burgers
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups dried garbanzo beans
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and grated
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1In a bowl, soak chickpeas in 4 cups water for at least 12 hours and up to 24; drain well.
- 2Heat oven to 375°.
- 3Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- 4In a food processor, process chickpeas, tahini, black pepper, baking powder and 3/4 tsp salt, scraping down sides as necessary, until mixture holds together when pinched, 2 minutes; transfer to a bowl.
- 5Stir in sweet potato.
- 6In a second bowl, combine cucumber, onion, dill, vinegar and remaining 1/4 tsp salt; set aside.
- 7Form chickpea–sweet potato mixture into 4 burgers.
- 8place on baking sheet; cover tightly with foil; bake 20 minutes.
- 9Remove foil; coat burgers with spray; bake until crisp and golden underneath, 20 to 25 minutes.
- 10Flip burgers; coat with cooking spray; bake until crisp on other side, 10 to 15 minutes.
- 11Serve burgers with dilly cucumbers.
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chickpea–Sweet Potato Burgers With Dilly Cucumbers
Serving Size: 1 (195 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 335.1
- Calories from Fat 83
- Total Fat 9.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 502.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.4 g
- Sugars 9.6 g
- Protein 15.2 g