This is a great recipe I originally got from BBC's Saturday Kitchen. It's hearty, healthy and I think you will enjoy it!
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 2 small red onions, sliced in wedges
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-2 red chili pepper, seeded & sliced thin (depending on how hot you like it)
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2 (800 g) can chickpeas, rinsed & drained
- 473.18 ml vegetable broth
- 22.18 ml cumin
- 4.92 ml curry (optional)
- 500 g cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 100 g baby spinach leaves, washed & dried
- fresh ground black pepper
- sour cream
Crispy Pita Wedges
- 1 more if desired as 1 pita makes 8 wedges small whole wheat pita bread
- olive oil
- garlic powder
- Heat a large deep skillet over a medium to high heat.
- Add the oil, onion, garlic, chilies and salt and cook for five minutes or until the onions go soft.
- Add the chickpeas, broth, cumin, curry (if using) and freshly ground black pepper and cook until the stew begins to thicken and water evaporates by half.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for another two minutes to soften.
- Add spinach and stir through.
- Remove from heat and if needed season additionally to taste.
- To serve top with a dollop of sour cream and crispy pita wedges.
- To make the pita crisps:.
- Cut pita's into 4th's and then break into halves.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper, paprika & garlic powder.
- Bake in a moderate hot oven for 5 to 10 minutes or until crisp but still slightly chewy.
- Serve with stew.