1/4 Photos of Chickpea Stew With Crispy Pita Wedges
- Carla -'s Note:
This is a great recipe I originally got from BBC's Saturday Kitchen. It's hearty, healthy and I think you will enjoy it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small red onions, sliced in wedges
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -2 red chili pepper, seeded & sliced thin (depending on how hot you like it)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 (400 g) cans chickpeas, rinsed & drained
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry (optional)
- 500 g cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 100 g baby spinach leaves, washed & dried
- fresh ground black pepper
- sour cream
Crispy Pita Wedges
- 1Heat a large deep skillet over a medium to high heat.
- 2Add the oil, onion, garlic, chilies and salt and cook for five minutes or until the onions go soft.
- 3Add the chickpeas, broth, cumin, curry (if using) and freshly ground black pepper and cook until the stew begins to thicken and water evaporates by half.
- 4Add the tomatoes and cook for another two minutes to soften.
- 5Add spinach and stir through.
- 6Remove from heat and if needed season additionally to taste.
- 7To serve top with a dollop of sour cream and crispy pita wedges.
- 8To make the pita crisps:.
- 9Cut pita's into 4th's and then break into halves.
- 10Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper, paprika & garlic powder.
- 11Bake in a moderate hot oven for 5 to 10 minutes or until crisp but still slightly chewy.
- 12Serve with stew.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chickpea Stew With Crispy Pita Wedges
Serving Size: 1 (486 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 410.3
- Calories from Fat 92
- Total Fat 10.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1295.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.8 g
- Sugars 7.3 g
- Protein 14.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: