Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a variation of Ratatouille.
- 2 (5 ounce) cans chickpeas
- 1 small eggplant (aubergine)
- 1 -2 sweet pepper (yellow, orange or green)
- 2 zucchini (or other summer squash)
- 2 (5 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 small onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 -2 teaspoon basil
- olive oil
- Sauté the spices for about 1 minute in 2 tablespoons of olive oil; then add chopped onion, peppers and garlic.
- Add sliced zucchini and more oil if needed.
- Add diced eggplant.
- At this point you will probably need to add more oil, since the eggplant absorbs a lot of it.
- When all is sautéed, add chickpeas but do not drain the liquid and tomatoes.
- Basil can be added at the last minute before serving over steamed rice.
- These ingredients can be varied according to your taste and imagination.
- I have tried many variations, such as adding sweet potatoes, other spices and substituting 1 10-oz can black beans for 1 10-oz can of chickpeas.
- Have fun and let me know your ideas and additions.
I prepared this dish with organic veggies and - well, WOW!! Very flavorful and satiating.
This was very delicious and filling. I basically added the required ingredients although usually in alternate proportions for instance my aubergine was quite large, I used two cans each of 14 oz chickpeas and tomatoes (and mine were diced, not stewed) and I added extra spices to compensate for the excess volume. I didn't drain the chickpeas as suggested, although it did end up a bit more watery than I would have liked so I used a slotted spoon to get out all of the good stuff because I was impatient and didn't want to wait for it to all simmer down. But the flavour and spice mix were phenomenal. Thanks for the recipe!