Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Great with pita breads and rice; we add extra tomato when they're in season. A can of fire-roasted diced tomatoes is an excellent substitute. I cannot remember where I got this from....but made it last week and don't want to lose it!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 medium onions, chopped or 1 cup onion
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed, ground
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 cup water
- 1 large red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped, divided
- 3 medium tomatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat; cook cumin seeds for 10 seconds.
- Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring, until dark brown, 5 to 8 minutes. Add coriander; curry powder, cook, stirring, for 20 seconds.
- Stir in water, potato, chickpeas, salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon cilantro. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until the potato is tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve over rice.