Cook1 hr 40 mins
Posted for Zaar World Tour - Norway. I have not tried this recipe. Prep time includes soaking time for peas.
- 1 cup dried garbanzo beans
- 6 cups water, enough to cover beans
- 2 medium tomatoes, whole
- 1 onion, cut into quarters
- 4 garlic cloves, cut into halves
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh spinach
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Soak beans in enough cold water to cover for 12 hours; drain well.
- In a large saucepan, combine soaked beans and 3-1/2 cups fresh water; bring to a boil. Add whole tomatoes, onion, garlic, paprika, salt and bay leaf. Cover and cook over low heat 1-1/4 hours.
- Rinse spinach well to remove any dirt or sand; place damp spinach in a large saucepan. Do NOT add water. Cover and cook 2 minutes. Drain well; chop spinach. Remove onion quarters, tomatoes, garlic and 1 Tablespoon cooked beans from the saucepan. Discard tomato skins. Press mixture through a sieve or puree in a blender or food processor.
- Heat oil in a small skillet; add pureed mixture. Cook 2 to 3 minutes; return to soup in the saucepan. Stir in wine and chopped cooked spinach; simmer 10 minutes. Remove bay leaf. Pour into a tureen or serve in individual bowls. Garnish with parsley.