Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I found this recipe searching for Zaar's World Tour 2005. This soup is from Tunisia. Time to prepare is an estimate. Does not include soaking time.
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried garbanzo beans (garbanzo)
- 10 cups water
- 4 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 hot pepper, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, washed and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground caraway
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup crouton (dry)
- Soak the chickpeas in the 10 cups of water overnight.
- Into a large saucepan put the beans and the water. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium and cook for 2 hours.
- Add the remaining ingredients with exception of the lemon juice, olive oil and the croutons. Continue to cook over medium heat another 30 minutes or until the beans are tender.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice and the olive oil. Add to individual bowls and garnish with croutons.
I love garbanzo beans and this was so easy to make. I put in quite a peppery little chili, so I cooled it down a bit by serving it with a dollop of fat-free yoghurt. Delicous, Katie, thanks for sharing.