Recipe by eillena
This is from the cookbook "Twelve Months of Monastery Soups"
Top Review by katia
Excellent soup! I absolutely loved it. The leek added a sweetness to the soup and the spinach made it both healthy and colourful! I left out the crouton and added oregano and a bay leaf. Its a keeper! Made it for PAC Spring 2008. Thanks for posting!
- 2 cups dried garbanzo beans
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 4 leeks, white part only, thinly sliced
- 10 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup spinach
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons herbs (thyme, rosemary, oregano, marjoram, bay leaf)
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon butter or 1 teaspoon margarine
- 1⁄3 cup crouton
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the chickpeas overnight. Rinse them in cold water.
- Chop the spinach. Pour the oil into a soup pot, add the leeks, and saute over medium heat for a few minutes.
- Add the water, chickpeas, spinach, garlic, herbs and salt and pepper.
- Bring soup to a boil and reduce to low-heat. Cover pot and cook for 50-60 minutes until chickpeas are tender. Simmer for 15 more minutes.
- Blend soup and pour back into pot to reheat. Add butter and croutons to each serving.