Charlotte J's Note:
Garlicky soup from Tunisia. Long cooking time mellows the taste of the garlic. Ground cumin and paprika may be added if you'd like. From “North African Cooking” by Hilaire Walden.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat 4 tablespoons oil in a large pan, then cook the garlic until fragrant.
- 2Stir in chickpeas then add the water and bring to boil.
- 3Remove skim from surface as needed, simmering until chickpeas are tender.
- 4Heat a pan and add remaining oil, onion, carrots and celery, cover and cook gently for 20 minutes.
- 5Add vegetables to the beans, puree (HOT, be very careful) half of this mixture or rub through a sieve.
- 6Stir back into the soup and reheat.
- 7Add seasoning and lemon juice to taste and sprinkle with cilantro.
Browse Our Top Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chickpea Soup
Serving Size: 1 (902 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 544.2
- Calories from Fat 231
- Total Fat 25.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 161.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 18.4 g
- Sugars 14.0 g
- Protein 18.4 g